Hurricane shutters in Columbia don’t merely secure your home from inclement weather, they can improve its resale value also.
There are a few different kinds of hurricane shutters, which we’ll discuss in a minute. When you buy these shutters for your house, you’ll want to partner with a skilled specialist. Like one from Louver Shop of Columbia who can help you find and make the best product for your residence during a free consultation.
Here are the most common kinds of hurricane shutters and the advantages of adding them to your home.
Styles of Hurricane Shutters
- Rolling Hurricane Shutters—These are the leading style of hurricane shutters, since select models can weather 200 mph winds or greater. Because rolling hurricane shutters are a permanent part of your house, you can position them within minutes when customized with a motorized or an automated operating capability. They also improve energy efficiency and protect against burglars. When not down, these shutters curl into a small housing box above windows or doors. At Louver Shop of Columbia, our custom LouverShield™ Hurricane Shutters use an extra-small housing box and our exclusive End Retention System does away with the need for storm bars.
- Storm Bahama Shutters—These are an attractive way to protect your coastal residence from hurricanes and other severe weather. Storm Bahama Shutters resemble wood Bahama shutters, but are hurricane rated as they’re crafted from sturdy aluminum to stop wind and debris. They offer shade and allow in cool gusts when open and shield your windows and doors when shut.
- Storm Louvered Shutters—These are an attractive method to shield your traditional-style residence from severe weather. Storm Louvered Shutters are similar to wood colonial shutters but are hurricane rated as they’re created from tough aluminum. They can be reinforced with storm bars to defend your home against wind and debris.
- Accordion Hurricane Shutters—These aluminum shutters resemble rolling hurricane shutters, since they’re permanently installed. However, they’re less attractive than rolling shutters. You also are required to manually draw and lock them together horizontally. In comparison, rolling hurricane shutters come down vertically and don’t require being locked together.
- Storm Panels—These aluminum, clear or galvanized steel panels are a step up from putting plywood on windows and doors. However, they’re hefty and must be manually put up, removed and stored when not needed.
5 Pluses of Hurricane Shutters
- They guard your home. Hurricane shutters safeguard the most exposed parts of your house, windows and doors, from aerial debris. They’re created to keep glass from shattering and doors from breaking, and to keep rain out.
- They can be used quickly. Rolling hurricane shutters with automation or motorization can be deployed in minutes, instead of the large amount of time it requires to secure plywood or put on storm panels. Since they go into a box, there’s no need for additional storage room for panels. And you won’t have to fret about hurrying to the store to buy plywood.
- They may boost your residence’s resale price. Hurricane shutters, especially permanent styles such as rolling, storm Bahama or storm louvered, are an desirable feature to future buyers.
- They can improve your house’s energy efficiency and security. Using some of your shutters to block sunshine during very warm temps can keep your house cooler—and could even decrease your energy costs. They also protect against burglars after bad weather, or when you’re away, which is a outstanding feature for vacation homes.
- They might reduce your insurance premiums. Hurricane shutters can lower your home insurance premiums nearly 10%, but the precise figure depends on your insurance company, your policy and your location.
Whether you’re looking to enhance your resale value or protect your loved ones, Louver Shop of Columbia can help. Our shutter consultants live locally, so they understand the severity of weather you’re up against. Contact us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your free consultation right away!