White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are prized for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that complement a wide range of home styles. In addition, white works with just about any color, even as décor styles transition over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s to be apprehensive that the sun may discolor them. This is especially true if your home endures intense sunlight or faces south. It’s helpful to know that not all window treatments are made the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you harmful sunburns. They’re also responsible for discoloring your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheap or overseas-made shutters. These harmful rays can eat away at protective coating over time. Once the coating is worn away, the sun could fade the paint and cause it to look yellow.
Routine cleaning will help keep your shutters looking bright. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t a lot you can do to fix it. The best way to keep your shutters from yellowing is to find high-quality models that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like a number of other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good of a deal as they initially appear to be.
- They may not fit your windows very well. For top energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters should fit tightly against the window frame. Ready-made plantation shutters are usually not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management might deteriorate as a result.
- They’re constructed from low-grade materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are reliant on low-quality materials, like vinyl and composite, and are often hollow. Alongside yellowing, they might also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to distortion, cracking or chipping.
- They’re painted with low-quality paint. Lower-quality paint sometimes contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These compounds can be emitted by your shutters over time, resulting in headaches and eye and nasal irritation in a number of people. It’s also beneficial to know that poor-quality paint might not possess a a protective UV coating, which may increase the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know the sort of quality you will get with plantation shutters that are built overseas. They are typically lower quality than ones that are made in the United States.
- They may need frequent maintenance. Cheap plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if pieces become loose or louvers begin to sag. In some cases, you may not be able to repair sagging louvers if your shutters don’t include tension screws.
- They don’t provide a warranty.
Louver Shop of Columbia Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Columbia, we’ve been building our company on quality plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a smart decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are identical, and your window treatments can reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can explore all available options as long as you need. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have an opportunity to fully custom-create your plantation shutters. And alongside our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a seamless fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from high-quality materials. Whether you select our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most traditional look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We rely on an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are colored with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Columbia plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for you and your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also guaranteed against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters and other window treatments in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they higher quality, this means you’ll also obtain them much sooner, often within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Columbia plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also provide a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Columbia Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your home. Picking the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with stress-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re guaranteed to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Columbia by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.